Saturday, July 22, 2006

Mariachi Band

Today I got to be a part of a pretty unique experience. I participated in a Catholic wedding as a Protestant minister. It was actually pretty fun as I had less responsibility in the service while the priest (Father Tom) carried the load. This wedding was unique also in the fact that the groon was caucasion and the bride was hispanic. It was a very diverse crowd and made for a lot of fun. Even more entertaining was the Mariachi Band that played at the reception. They looked like they were straight out of "The Three Amigos." They were very entertaining.

I guess the main thing I got out of the whole experience though was being able to be a part of a different Christian tradition. While being a Southern Baptist by birth and by choice, I have had some fairly diverse religious experiences. I have been in all type of churches and have come to experience an appreciation for more than one type of worship experience or tradition. I use to be more of a "there's only way to do it" kind of guy, but feel that I have grown to respect and enjoy a variety of styles when it comes to faith expression.

Anyway...all that to say that I appreciate and respect variety, and hope that others will grow to appreciate and respect differences as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home