Tuesday, August 01, 2006

When You Don't Desire God

I'm reading a book called "When You Don't Desire God" by John Piper. The subtitle is "Fighting for Joy," or something like that. I can't recommend the book yet to anyone but a struggling Christian. But, Piper makes a great point in the very beginning. He says, and I paraphrase, "God is most glorified when I am most satisfied in Him." Consequently, I am most satisfied when i find my satisfaction in God. Piper calls this Christian hedonism. But, it is a good kind of hedonism, since we are suppose to desire God. This hedonism is not a new concept to me. I have always been a Christian hedonist, and without guilt. I never feel better/happier than when I am seeking God and connecting with Him and serving Him and others. It just feels good. But, I shouldn't pursue Him for the feeling, I should pursue Him because He is the only thing worth pursuing.

Anyway...back to the quote. That quote above has really got me thinking. Allow me to use the more Christianese word - I am feeling convicted (I rarely ever hear anyone use the word convicted outside of the Christian sense unless they are being convicted of some crime.)

Before I forget - my wife is currently reading the memoirs of Clay Aiken. Funnier. We happen to know Clay, and think he is a great guy and couldn't be happier for him and his success.

Back to the quote, again. I am convicted that I am not finding my satisfaction in God. I am convinced that there has been a time in my life when I was being more satisfied by God, but I think I'm sort of drifting. I am going through the motions of life and faith, and not truly seeking after God and finding satisfaction in Him. I am so glad for this conviction. I've been more satisfied in God over the last several days then I have been in a long time. I can only hope it will continue. If you happen to read this blog and then see me, you have permission to ask me if I am being satisfied by God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home