Saturday, September 22, 2007

Connection Groups

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to be a part of one of the "Connection Groups" our church offers. Being a part of a Connection Group simply means that we are a small group of people that get to know each other, care for each other, and walk together on our spiritual journey. The benefits of these "connections" for me is immeasurable.

My group has just jumped in to a course of study called Experiencing God (EG). This will be at least the third time of have gone through this course. EG is absolutely amazing to me. It happens to require 5 days of homework each week which takes a considerable amount of time - but wow - is it ever worth the time investment. EG is about learning how to connect with God and to discover His will. I'm only into Day 1 of the study and am already so encouraged by God about learning how to trust Him one day at a time.

I read in EG this morning from Matthew 6:33-34. It says, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

As Pastor of The Bridge, I've learn to worry more than ever in my life. And I know I am not suppose to worry. In fact, I will never forget the time in my life in high school when I read a verse from the Bible that said, "Which of you by worrying can add one hour to your life?" I read that verse and thought to myself, "How true. Worry does nothing for me." So, I quit worrying. Until about nine months ago. It is so strange - worry has just not been a part of my life. I worry because I care about people. I care about our community - Morrisville and West Cary and East Durham. I care about the people there who are apart from God and are hurting. I want to see healing and hope brought to their lives. But I'm not suppose to worry. Somehow though, I've crossed the line from burden to worry.

I'm really grateful for that verse above - Seek God's kingdom, his righteousness - and all these things will be given to you. Don't worry about tomorrow. Just focus on today.

It's going to be hard for me not to worry about tomorrow as I continue to pray about God's vision for our church. What is the next step for us? Where is God leading us? I know He wants us to have vision - to look ahead. But at the same time He wants me/us to walk with Him daily, trusting in His ability and willingness to provide for TODAY and that the same will be true TOMORROW.

Anyway...pray for me. Pray that I will overcome my worries and trust God. He loves Morrisville, West Cary, East Durham more than I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home