Monday, August 20, 2007

Another "wow" moment

Please take a second to read the following verses from chapter one of the book of Job and what happened to he and his family when Satan asked for God to test him:

"One day when Job's sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, a messenger came to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby, and the Sabeans attacked and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!" While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The fire of God fell from the sky and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!" While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!" While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, "Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"

So I'm just casually reading the above Scripture and begin to try to imagine what it would be like to have been Job. What would I do? How would I respond? The next verse began to tell me how Job responded:

"At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in..."

Now I can relate to that - getting up, tearing clothing, shaving my head (well, maybe not that), but generally grieving for my losses. That makes sense. But what follows the dot dot dot? Job fell to the ground in grief? Despair? Anguish? Anger? Complete misery? What did Job do?

"Then he fell to the ground in...worship."

Wow. Not what I was expecting. That's amazing to me. In all that was happening to him and his family, he fell to the ground and worshipped. Wow. Job really did love God. And he knew all things came from Him. And he trusted God. He knew that God was good, righteous, holy, just, loving, etc. He knew that God was worthy of worship - no matter what. It is so easy to "praise" God when things are going well. But do we really love and worship God, or do we love and worship blessing?

God - you're worthy of my worship. Thanks for the example of Job. I hope to worship you in all things. And as Job said, "Blessed be you name."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home