Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Moving and Waiting.

As many of you know, my family has just moved to a new home. And most of you can relate to the stress of moving. Not only does moving produce stress, but it also can get us out of our routine. I am very routine and schedule oriented person. When I don't have my routine, it generally leads to neglect of certain disciplines, especially the spiritual ones. Not that I haven't been connected with God or spending anytime with Him at all, but it just hasn't been the same. Now that we are "in" the new home and somewhat settled, I was able to spend some quality time pursuing God this morning. I happened to read in a daily devotional the verse, "Wait on the Lord" from Psalm 27:14. I began to meditate on this verse and thought about the meaning of the word "wait." In this context, it obviously means "to remain inactive or in a state of repose, as until something expected happens." We are called to "wait on God." Too often then not, I am not one to "wait" on God. In fact, the opposite is true. I tend to want God to "wait"on me (as in "to wait tables). I tend to approach God and expect Him to be there, ready and waiting for me and ready to serve me. I want Him to give me peace, or make me feel better, or forgive me or whatever. It seems I tend to treat God more like a "waiter" than like the God of the universe. So as I meditated on the word "wait," I determined that I would wait on Him. I am much more of a "doer" than a "be'er" (not beer!). My tendency is to get my time with God over and done with so I can check it off my list and than move on the rest of the list. I had to ask myself, "When was the last time I waited on God?" So I waited. I refused to be satisfied with trite prayer and petty intercession. I wanted to meet God. I think it meant that I had to clear my mind and get past the box that I wanted to place God in and wait until He wanted to make himself known. Did God show up? I think so. Did I have any inspired revelation? No. But the pursuit of God is a lifelong journey. Knowing Him will take all of eternity. And I will never know Him fully. He is God. I am not, and never will be. There will always be more of God for me to know. And I am called to wait. To set aside the worries of the day and wait. I need to seek God, not for the benefits He offers me, but because He is God and the only thing truly worth pursuing. He is life. If only I would wait more often and experience the greater depths and intimacy that He offers. He is there for me, and you. It is up to us.

1 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Jason Fletcher said...

true words mike. it is sometimes far to easy to spend our time doing christian things than being like christ. keep serving and keep blogging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home