Thursday, January 25, 2007

Day 12 - Guest Blogger- Pastor Tim

The Pursuit of Happyness

My wife and I went to the movies the other night and saw “The Pursuit of Happyness.” (If you have seen the movie you know why that is misspelled) It is a great story of a Father and his desire to make life better for his son. This true story is based on the life of Chris Gardner, a not so good salesman who makes it big as a stock broker. If you have not seen the movie, you should, it is well made and just may challenge you some too.

After watching the movie I started to think about myself and what it means to “Pursue Happiness.” As a Christ-follower we are not supposed to pursue happiness. We are supposed to pursue Joy. Happiness comes and goes. If I have a good day a work, I’m happy. If I get a hole in one, I’m happy. If I get to play with my son, I’m happy. But, if I am running late, I’m not happy. If I get a speeding ticket, I’m not happy. If I get beat by Mike or Matt in ping-pong, I’m not happy.

The problem with happiness is that it is based on what happens to us and often those are things that we cannot control. But Joy is different. James 1:2-4 say that we are to “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” True Joy comes from God. True Joy will not disappear when we have a bad day.

I want to encourage you to find your Joy in God, don’t base it on what happens to you, base it what God has already done for you. That Joy is worth pursuing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home