Sunday, January 28, 2007

Day 14 - The Twix Man

Good morning faithful devotional readers. Thanks for reading. God bless your time with Him today.

Lord Jesus Christ, speak to me.

“Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both.” – Job 9:33 (KJV)
“If only there were someone to arbitrate between us, to lay his hand upon us both.” – Job 9:33 (NIV)


My favorite candy bar is probably a Twix. For me, there is just nothing better than that mixture of caramel and chocolate, with a little cookie added in. I don’t know where they got the name “twix,” but I’m glad they did. Because the word “twix” reminds me of a Scripture verse that I learned when I was in seminary. The verse above, in the King James Version, talks about a “betwixt” man and there is a great lesson to go with it. In context, the Biblical character, Job, is dealing with all the losses he has faced in his life, despite the fact that he was a fairly righteous man. He was suffering a great deal from grief and pain. On top of that, his friends were trying to console him but were basically accusing him of some act of sin for which God must surely be punishing him. Job knew his own heart, and apart from the fact that we are all “sinners,” Job knew his suffering was not normal. In his anguish and grief, he was crying out and longing for someone who could stand between he and God and argue his case. He longed for someone to come between them and close the gap between God and man. He wanted a “betwixt” man. Someone who could lay their hand on both them. Someone who could touch God, and touch man.

Job’s cry is our cry, and a foreshadowing of God’s response. Job saw his need for someone to come between he and God and set things right. We need someone who can come betwixt us and God, and set things right again. We can’t arbitrate for ourselves. If we do, we will lose. We need someone who can touch God and touch us. Someone to come between the two of us and bring us together again. Job saw the need. God saw the need. And He sent His only Son, Jesus, to be the betwixt man. He sent Jesus to be our arbitrator. Jesus stands between us and God and pleads our case based on His righteousness. Jesus died for the sins of the world so that He could stand between His Father and us and plead our case. He is our betwixt man. He is my ‘twix” man. Every time I eat a Twix I am reminded that Jesus died for me and stands between me and God. I hope you’ll be reminded each and every day, whether you eat a Twix or not, that God sent His Son to be your Twix Man.

3 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Blogger Russ said...

Hey Mike.... Coffee and Twix does NOT a good combination make! What on earth were you doing up at 3:17 AM??? I enjoyed reading your Blog.

Russ

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Russ said...

Hey Mike.... Coffee and Twix does NOT a good combination make! What on earth were you doing up at 3:17 AM???
I enjoyed reading your Blog.

Russ

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Russ said...

Hey Mike.... Coffee and Twix does NOT a good combination make! What on earth were you doing up at 3:17 AM??? I enjoyed reading your Blog.

Russ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home