Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Day 24 - Justified

Lord Jesus Christ, speak to me.

That having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:7


I’m rereading a book I’ve read many times. It is a great book on what it means to be a Christ-follower. It’s called “The Fight” by an author named John White. In the first few pages, he brings up the concept of “justification.” And if you’re anything like me, you’re thinking, “Wow. Big word.” But what a great word. Justification is the concept that when God looks at us, he can now view us as if we have never sinned and will never sin. He can do that because we are justified. We are justified because the righteousness, the perfection, of Jesus has been giving to us – if we have become Christ-followers. If we have put our faith in Jesus. I’m not perfect. I sin all the time. And I could worry about how God views me. But, because of His grace, and Jesus’ sacrificial death, I now have Christ living in me, and His righteousness. I don’t have to fear God’s judgment.
Back in Old Testament days, a priest would enter into the holiest section of the temple to present a sacrifice once a year, on the alter of the are of the covenant. The ark of the covenant contained, among other things, the 10 commandments. If God were to look down a the ark, he would see these 10 commandments, and would have to look in judgment at his people as commandment breakers. But when the priest came in, he poured the blood of the sacrifices animal over the alter. Then, when God saw the ark, he would see the blood covering the commandments. The penalty had been paid. There was no need for judgment.
As Christ-followers, God looks at us and sees the blood of His Son’s sacrifice covering us. We are justified. We no longer stand condemned. God views us as perfectly righteous. We are free form sin. Live in that freedom. Not to serve yourself, but to serve the Living God who justifies you by His Son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home